If you have been considered a high risk driver by Colorado auto insurance companies, there is still some hope to get back on the road. You will have to pay higher auto insurance premiums, but you can still find Colorado auto insurance. If you can get back on the road and prove yourself, then you can eventually qualify for lower Colorado auto insurance rates.
Colorado Auto Insurance SR-22 Forms
You may need your Colorado auto insurance company to file an SR-22 on your behalf to get a suspended license reinstated. An SR-22 may be required in any of the following situations:
- At-fault accident while driving without auto insurance
- DWI or DUI convictions
- Miscellaneous license suspension or revocation
- Repeat traffic violations (too many speeding tickets, etc.)
An SR-22 is necessary to prove to the Colorado DMV that you have acquired Colorado auto insurance. The reason for this is because it can be difficult for those who have had a suspended license to get auto insurance.
Finding Colorado Auto Insurance as a High Risk Driver
If you are considered a high risk driver, the search for Colorado auto insurance may be a bit more difficult. Many of the large nationwide auto insurance companies may still offer you affordable coverage depending upon the level of risk you pose to them. To make this insurance affordable to you, you should make sure to shop around to find as many discounts that you may qualify for as possible.
If you have a hard time finding Colorado auto insurance from some of the bigger, more notable names, there are other options available. There are numerous smaller auto insurance companies in Colorado that market specifically to high risk drivers. The General is the most notable of these companies, but not the only one. They will take you on as a customer, help you with the SR-22 and get you back on the road so you can prove yourself.
Reduced Colorado Auto Insurance Rates
The biggest obstacle you may face when searching for high risk Colorado auto insurance it getting an affordable rate. As a high risk driver, you will have to pay more, but you can take advantage of discounts offered to all drivers to help reduce your Colorado auto insurance rates.
- Add a good driver to your policy: If you have a spouse that has a clean driving record, ask to see how much it will reduce your premiums to have him/her on your insurance.
- Keep your grades high: If you are a student, then you can save anywhere from 5 to 15 percent off your Colorado auto insurance premiums simply by keeping your grades high and getting good test scores. Most Colorado auto insurance companies will offer this discount to students up to the age of 25.
- Loyal customer discounts: If you have other insurance needs, such as life insurance, health insurance and homeowners/renters insurance, you can save money by using one insurance company for all of these. This is called bundled policies and if you find a Colorado auto insurance company that handles other lines of insurance, see how much you can save by giving them as much of your business as possible.
- Purchase a safe, sensible car: Having an inexpensive car that is relatively cheap to repair can help to lower your Colorado auto insurance. You may want to even consider a vehicle that you can pay off immediately and then carry only the minimum liability requirements for Colorado auto insurance.
Summary of Colorado Auto Insurance for High Risk Drivers
Colorado auto insurance for high risk drivers can be affordably obtained with a little knowledge of the industry and some effort on your part. The effort required is not that extensive but could save you a bundle in the long run.
Get as many rate quotes as possible and find out all possible discounts that you or other drivers on your policy may qualify for. Don’t forget the importance of the vehicle either, as the right car can help to save you money on your Colorado auto insurance.
Take the time to dig a little deeper than just the big name companies you have heard about or seen advertisements for. They may be able to offer you good rates on your Colorado auto insurance, but there may be better rates available for high risk drivers. When searching for Colorado auto insurance, do not forget about the smaller insurance companies that deal almost exclusively with high risk drivers as they can be the key to getting you back out on the road.
Connecticut Auto Insurance