It is hard to picture a world without automobile insurance. People would have to pay out of pocket for any damage or personal injury. State courts would be overrun with litigations from car accidents and property damage. The citizens would see increased taxes to help pay increased court costs. Automobile insurance provides automobile owners with great benefits.
Benefits of Automobile Insurance
Here are some great reasons to value automobile insurance:
- in case of an accident where you are at fault, all legal costs, damage costs, and medical costs are covered
- when not at fault, damages and medical costs are covered by the other driver’s insurance
- the driver only pays a set deductible and insurance pays the rest
- passengers are also covered
- can help in times of need with locked key, dead battery, flat tire, etc
- guest drivers are also covered
- personal property inside the damaged car is covered
- towing is often covered if the car is too damaged to be driven
- offers protection if the car is damaged by storms, animals, thefts, vandals, or trees
- rental reimbursement will be covered while car is being fixed
- covers the insured individual if they are hit by a car while walking
- offsets the cost of lost wages in event of an accident
- covers costs even when other driver involved in the accident is not covered
- premiums for bail bonds
- covers a newly purchased vehicle for 30 days, if the driver has forgotten to notify the company
All these benefits and more are reasons to value that insurance you have. Automobile insurance, as you can see, does not just cover you while you are driving. Guest drivers are covered. Lost wages are covered. Car rental reimbursement is covered. So many benefits are offered to the driver. In addition to all of those, states often require a driver to have insurance. Do your best to find good coverage that covers more than the basics because it will save you money in the long run.
Discounts Offered for Automobile Insurance
Most automobile insurance companies offer a wide range of discounts to their clients. While having a clean driving record is one of the best ways to accrue discounts, there are many other options to choose as well.
Discounts are available to:
The educated- Those who were trained in a classroom for driver’s education or have taken a certain course that the insurance company made available receive a good discount. In addition, discounts are also available for those who have received a higher education. For those in school full time, some companies offer a good student discount as long as the student keeps the minimum of a B average.
Long time policy holders- Some companies offer a 15% discount to those who have been with the company for over 5 years. Discounts are also available for those who are insured for lesser time.
Multi-car owners- If you own multiple cars and insure them with the same company, you will most likely receive a discount.
Anti-theft discount- In order to protect your car adequately, many companies offer a discount to a driver if they have an anti-theft feature in their car or get it installed. This shows the insurance company that you are serious about protecting your vehicle.
Safety feature discount- Discounts are offered for vehicles that have full front-seat airbags or restraint features that are automatic when a car door is closed.
Homeowners and car owners- With select companies, you can receive a discount if you insure your home, apartment, or condo and your car (s) with the same company.
Companies often look for certain features that make you eligible for a discount. Asking if you qualify for discounts will never hurt you. Here are some features to ask about:
- Does my type of vehicle qualify me?
- What is the safety rating for my vehicle?
- Will the safety features in my vehicle qualify me?
- How is my driving record?
- How old is my vehicle?
- How many miles per year will my vehicle drive?
- How easily can my vehicle be repaired or replaced?
- Are there many natural disasters in my location? Will this qualify or disqualify me?
As you can see, many options are available to a driver looking for discounts on automobile insurance. Explore all your options and ask as many questions as you want. You never know what feature may qualify you for a discount. Not only will your automobile insurance greatly benefit you, but you will also be able to receive various discounts with your insurance. Our auto insurance quote tool can help you get started. Put your zip code into the box at the top of this page and click “Go”. It’s that easy!
Keeping Automobile Insurance Premiums Down for a Teenager